Table of content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Engagement Challenges
- Xoriant's Contributions in the Engagement
- Tools and Technology
- Business Benefits
Our client is one of the renowned mobile e-learning solutions providers in the education industry. Considering the advent of newer technologies, the gadget explosion their end users are exposed to along with the introduction of Internet of Things (IoT) technology, our client offers new, innovative apps for all wireless devices including the elite ones. Their apps portfolio spans across a range of informative reference applications to some of the most interactive educational and puzzle game apps for varying age groups.
Our client wanted a dictionary application which would operate on the wearable technology from Google – Google Glass. The application would enable a user to discover a new way of using a dictionary to search for a synonym of any word she/he comes across at any given point of time. Tracking the word which the user intends to search a synonym for and presenting it with no delay between the action and intention from the user were the key requirements of the application. Also, though the display functions of this innovative device are more like a smartphone, it required a UI that is more readable and hyper- responsive as compared to any contemporary smartphone.
Our client wanted a vision-based augmented reality application to be launched for Google Glass. The application would conceptually be a dictionary with a capability of responding to voice commands, too. Due focus was given on the UI development in order to give a precise look and feel of a dictionary, syncing with other screens (called as cards) on the device. With these native device requirements, the application was required to support vision based computing, allowing the user to just randomly select the word while she/he is reading.
Key Challenges for developing the application were:
- Developing Google Glass rendering UI such as static cards and on-touch scrollable cards; which are very much unlike the normal smartphone screen
- Identifying and seamlessly integrating an open dictionary/ thesaurus
- Integrating native features with 3rd party engine to enable seamless and error free vision tracking capabilities
- Co-ordination with user's swipe movements for filtering the common words that the camera detects and selecting a particular word to provide the synonym
- Performing functional testing for critical aspects such as filtering of words, swipe responsiveness, quick search ability with no delay
XORIANT'S CONTRIBUTION'S IN THE ENGAGEMENT
Xoriant has a significant amount of experience in mobile applications development with comprehensive portfolio covering different segments such as utility, lifestyle, business, reference and games across multiple platforms. Although developing for a new device and technology was a challenge, this varied experience across the mobility space led Xoriant to be the right choice for the client for this engagement. Xoriant team consisted of a technical architect, a UI designer, a software developer and a QA engineer.
With thorough understanding of the purpose of the application from our client, our team of experts built this application right from inception to conclusion with major contributions as follows:
- Developed a rich and intuitive UI for a new, unique wearable technology effectively using the Glass development kit with on-voice-command activation function
- Integrated seamlessly the native camera features with an augmented reality engine for vision based tracking of words
- Built static cards for each word being detected by 3rd party engine’s words list. Each card was scrollable on swiping the touchpad horizontally
- Provided easy functionality of just tapping the static card that holds the desired word, and a 3rd party dictionary API would provide the synonym of the selected word with zero delays
- Performed functional testing to check the co-ordination between swiping, tapping gestures and card movements ensuring a user expected filter and appropriate selection of words
TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Glass Development Kit
- Client had the first mover advantage to have their simple, unique and highly useful application that operates on Google Glass
- Successful implementation of this application led the client to further opportunities for integrating this app features with their other educational course offerings and thus increase their foot-print