Table of Content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Key Requirements
- Xoriant's Solution
- Xoriant's Key Contributions
- High Level Architecture Diagram
- Tools and Technologies
- Results/Client’s Benefits
Our client is one of the leading US-based creative agencies working with the entertainment industry. Our client is responsible for branding and marketing of their customer’s stories (movies, albums, music albums, etc.) by creating theatrical teasers, TV spots, writing editorials and other promotional activities.
Our client recently expanded its service offerings to include creative development, design, digital promotions, mobile offerings, social games, print and TV content/UX.
One of our client’s customers organizes annual award function for the entertainment industry. In order to engage their audience on a wider platform our client decided to build a web portal with rich UI to attract and engage users. Additionally, the customer had multiple large databases of their work products that included multimedia files, content files, etc. spanning across 6 decades. These databases were to be managed and integrated with the website.
- Managing the huge archives of data available in multiple formats and in multiple databases was the primary challenge
- Incorporating features like video streaming, live newsfeed related to the event, live chat, etc. in order to make the website more dynamic and engage users
- Integrating content from social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Creating calendar of events which will display event details in real time
- Creating a centrally accessible media module for the images and videos to be uploaded on the website
- Optimizing website to be compatible with multiple devices - desktops, laptops, tablets and mobiles
- Ensuring fast performance and quick loading of the website
- Ensuring that website is capable of handling load during event period when traffic increases to the tune of 10,000 concurrent users for the http traffic and 5,000 TPS for streaming traffic
Xoriant team gathered the detailed requirement from the client team through a series of client discussions. Xoriant team analyzed different options for CMS for the requirement using product evaluation matrix. Of all the options Drupal 7, an Open source CMS was suggested as the most apt product.
Drupal 7 being an Open Source CMS was cost effective and met the key requirements of storing and managing the data archives of our client. Xoriant team proposed customization of the plug-ins for calendar, WYSIWYG, etc. to help integrate the features on the website that met the requirement.
Using CMS was one part of the solution. Another key requirement was of a responsive web design to appeal to the audience on both desktop and mobile versions. Xoriant team followed the Mo-jile (Mobile + Agile) approach which involves using Agile methodology to build and control the feature set of the requirement. Our team was involved in developing the website with the UI framework that was required by our client. Xoriant team also tested and optimized the website elements while making it portable with other devices too.
XORIANT'S KEY CONTRIBUTIONS:
- Used HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery to build website with the dynamic features such as video streaming, live newsfeed, etc. to incorporate all the requirement
- Created a responsive website using and Theme Key tool – a Theme Rendering Technique which provided different effect on desktop and on hand-held devices and rendered multi-browser compatibility to the website
- Created functional templates of the UI which was integrated with the Drupal 7 CMS customized by Xoriant team
- Organized and managed all the archives of client through CMS to make it accessible through website
- Stored images in the CMS and tagged content with it to be displayed on the website
- Integrated Media module and Adaptive Image module with the website which helped in managing images on all the devices efficiently
- Integrated Social Media channels with all the relevant feeds with the website using Social Media module
- Used caching and optimization of database query rendering quick load time of website
- Integrated a third party blog tool, Disqus for writing and sharing blogs
- Integrated Akamai to leverage on Content Delivery Network which helped to manage the load on the website efficiently
- Integrated Acquia Cloud Hosting with the website for scalability and security of the website
HIGH LEVEL ARCHITECTURE DIAGRAM:
Figure 1: High Level Architecture
TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGIES:
- Drupal 7
- jQuery 1.7
- Apache Solr
- Acquia Cloud Hosting
- JIRA and Confluence
- Git was used for version control
- Reduction in page load time by 2 seconds due to the dynamic caching technique
- Increase in ‘Recency’ rate of the website by 40% because of the responsive UI created resulting in reduced page load time on different devices
- Rapid updates to the website were made possible due to the rich and easy to use UI, enabling making changes by non-technical folks too.
- Reduced time-to-market and ability to manage the random spikes in traffic due to the aggressive testing in the Xoriant test labs.