Table of content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Key Engagement Objectives
- Xoriant's Contribution
- Tools and Technology
- High-Level Architecture Diagram
- Engagement Results/Benefits
Our client, a global leader in Video Management and Licensing solutions offers storage, access, and licensing for enterprise-scale video libraries. Its technology platform and services enable media owners to generate new value from their content while managing cost and complexity. Through its licensing platform and global sales force, the company licenses sports, news, and creative footage to producers in advertising, entertainment, publishing, and emerging media. Our client represents the three core areas of the video business: storage, access and licensing.
Our client’s video licensing application has been deployed on various customer sites. This application provides one of the world’s deepest libraries of video content along with expert project management, rights, and clearances services. Our client works with global media companies, including BBC Motion Gallery, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, National Geographic, The New York Times, and the NCAA.
Our client’s platform provides a range of video storage, access and licensing services for large-scale sports, news, and entertainment libraries. They help video rights owners to monetize their archives through its footage licensing storefront with the company's Library Manager Product. Clients can search, preview, and deliver content in most major file formats through a web browser.
Our client required a video licensing application for their new customers as well as managing licensing applications of existing customers as a part of the growth strategy. For this, client wanted to engage a product engineering partner who could be quick to understand the product details and recommend the right technology platform to meet the objectives.
Our client was seeking to work with partners who had experience in full spectrum of product development, maintenance, and iterative execution model for roll-outs. The client was looking for a robust system and more importantly a very scalable system. The short time to market, coupled with the cost effectiveness pre-condition necessitated the need for perfect planning plus very good project management and implementation approach. Xoriant’s track record of successfully delivering high class software applications with multiple technologies and multiple domains, in addition to the combination of customer intimacy and cost-effectiveness offered by Xoriant’s global delivery model influenced client to outsource the project to Xoriant.
KEY ENGAGEMENT OBJECTIVES
One of the key objectives of the engagement was to manage around eight customer sites which provide Media & Footage Content licensing. These sites are built using client’s video management platform which has features like integrated video rights & eCommerce.
Some of the other key objectives are highlighted below:
- Developing user friendly, CMS enabled user interface as per the needs of each customer
- Developing end to end video licensing sites for customers: Natgeo, Dissolve & All-Japan [does naming the customers reveal our client’s name?]
- Interfacing video licensing application with existing legacy systems (e.g. SAP) of the customer
- Developing new modules & modifying existing modules as per the business needs of customer
- Developing some of the features like “Master Access Feature”, Purchase Credits” etc. which are offered to limited customers or esteemed customers
- Interfacing licensing application with third party services like Google Analytics, Atlas tagging, Trustee certificate, Google Tag manager
- Integrating third party video players
- Integrating security solutions
- Developing new reports and customizing existing reports as per the needs of the customer
- Performing independent testing and QA automation for the development and enhancements in licensing sites of the client
Xoriant team worked closely with client to understand the requirements and created an engagement roadmap. The engagement roadmap was planned with due consideration to engagement objectives and some key decisions were taken early in the engagement cycle. Xoriant was involved in complete Software Development Lifecycle process in building the application, following SCRUM as Agile execution methodology to meet demands of evolving requirements without much compromise on time to market goals.
Xoriant team initiated the work and came up with a solution blueprint. The team leveraged our multi-technology and multi-platform expertise to deliver an innovative solution to our client that offered seamless user experience for customers coming through the state-of-the-art web portal. Working closely with our client, Xoriant’s product architecture team delivered a requirement document and product architecture blueprint. Reviewing the client requirements, available technologies, potential growth plans, and budgets, Xoriant team then created a modular design/ development framework.
As it was diffcult for the client to go to different vendors/contractors for fixing the bugs and enhancements on various technologies like, flex and ruby on rails, Xoriant team proactively added these technologies to their skills set. Xoriant team worked on ramping up their skills on Ruby/Rails, Flex& Maven to support flex projects & re-architected client’s projects in Rails front-end and Java/Spring backend. Also the team created a sample application using Rails. Xoriant team is currently managing the enhancements and bug fixes for multiple customer sites of the client developed in Java/J2EE, Flex and Rails.
Some major client specific features developed for some portals are listed below:
- Developed UI as per the requirement of different customers
- Interfaced licensing portal with the customer’s existing systems
- Added support for additional custom Meta tags for clips as per the needs of the customer
- Developed supplier module which takes care of video inventories for All-Japan portal which was very specific to requirements of the customers
- Developed commerce module as per the needs of the specific customers
- Developed custom reporting modules as per the needs of different customers
Some of the major enhancements performed foroverall video licensing portals are listed below:
- Developed end-to-end video licensing portals for (Natgeo, Dissolve, All Japan)
- Contributed in enhancements on the coupons module which is used to manage the discount coupons provided to the customers and can be used while buying video footages to avail discounts
- Developed a module for "Purchase Credits", which is site's own currency for buying video footages. User is required to first buy "Purchase Credits" which in turn can be used to buy the clips
- Developed a completely new feature called “Activity Monitor” which is used to monitor current & past user activity, search activity & download activity
- Worked on “Clipping” module which gives the facility to purchase part of the clip i.e. buying a sub clip of the original clip
- Modified the video player as per the needs of the customers, like introducing more controls, making it work with mobile devices
- Contributed in enhancement and bug fixes of different purchase methods like, Credit card, purchase on credit, Provisional orders
- Implemented Akamai tokenization logic in Java for securely rendering clips in “Open Video Player”
- Integrated open source video players like JW Player, OVP Player with client’s framework
- Integrated some of these players to use Akamai tokenization using HLS streaming
- Developed different reporting modules as per the needs of the customer
- Worked with client’s Flash developers for the enhancement of advanced flash player
- Team actively worked on implementation of “Master Access Feature”. The customers having access to this feature can download the master video files (HD video files) without making payment. Then they can choose which video they require and the client’s sales team will get in touch with them to generate the order/bill for them
- Contributed continuously by updating “Nexus”, a portal maintained by client which has all the above new features implemented in various client portals with a view of showcasing it to win more customers
- Xoriant team also worked on iOS/Android compatibility of some of our client’s sites by redesigning some of the key pages to make it work with mobile devices
- Some of the QA contributions include:
- Performed various releases with zero defect leakage to the customer. The team came up with consolidated test cases for all licensing portals, which was of great help in automation
- Implemented automation scripts for all above documented test cases
- Implemented automation scripts for all the common test cases for common features like search, clip bin, commerce, clip details etc. of seven client portals
- Planned automation scripts to be executed nightly through Jenkins and which is communicated to dev team for any issues
Xoriant maintained Daily Status Reports & Weekly Status Reports to keep both, client and Xoriant teams in sync with the tasks and updates which is highly appreciated by the client.
TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Free Marker
- Hibernate Spring
- Rest based search API
- Flex &Ruby/Rails
- Solr Indexing
HIGH-LEVEL ARCHITECTURE DIAGRAM
Figure 1: High-Level Architecture diagram
- Reduced time to deliver new licensing portals to the customers with the help of well documented and articulated repositories
- Helped our client gain more customers by developing and updating functionalities on “Nexus” portal which client uses for showcasing and winning more business
- Improved quality of deliverables and timeliness with the consolidated daily and weekly status reports
- Executed new functionalities faster due to flexibility shown by Xoriant team for learning new technologies
- Supported the migration of client’s propriety framework to rails front-end (team proactively trained) thereby becoming a single point of contact for most of the technical work of client