Table of Content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Key Requirements
- Xoriant Solution
- Key Contributions
- Architecture Diagram
- Technology Stack
- Key Benefits
Our client is a leading video game company which develops video games and is famous for its role-playing video games series. The client has its development studios across the globe through which it creates and launches location specific games.
In the current market scenario which boasts of competing mobile platforms with variety of devices of different resolutions and screen sizes, it is imperative for an application to be compatible with majority of the platforms for a wide market reach. Our client wanted to port its existing iOS/Android game to Windows Desktop environment to capture audiences via the desktop version too. Application required Steam feature support which included tracking of users, seamless gaming experience and authenticating user instances. This included the entire development lifecycle of porting, integrating and testing of the game with the existing infrastructure along with development of some added feature set.
Porting the existing iOS/Android game to Microsoft Windows Desktop environment which included :
- Developing of the game launcher to configure the game settings in a wizard mode
- Providing support for game achievements to unlock different levels of the game increasing the complexity of game play and progress through the game story
- Providing continuous and seamless gaming experience for the users even when they switch to different systems
- Implementing keyboard/controller mode and also removing touch support
- Developing a compiled executable game to run and install on the system easily
- Enable a global appeal by providing support in multiple languages
Our client was looking for a technology partner who had good exposure in developing games in the Windows Desktop. Xoriant has significant experience in mobile app development, with comprehensive portfolio across multiple platforms. Xoriant’s team started the engagement by understanding and analyzing similar applications on Steam platform. The team ramped up the skill set on Win32 programming (C/C++) and started working on Steam features and APIs.
Sprints were planned; artifacts were maintained and updated to ensure project transparency with the client throughout the project lifecycle. Deliverables were shared with the client via Steam branch to monitor the progress. The deliverable were tested by the client, bugs were reported and maintained using TestTrack. Continuous improvement and retrospectives were ingrained in the team to evaluate performance on a periodic basis. Xoriant team built POC with couple of game features ported on to the Windows Desktop to give an understanding on the actual working model. The deliverables were unit tested and QA was performed by the Xoriant’s internal QA team.
After the client’s positive response on the draft build release, Xoriant team continued to develop and deliver the Alpha, Beta versions, along with the release candidate builds in a staged manner.
- Implemented the game launcher using QT which allows the user to map the keyboard/game controller, select the language and configure the game settings
- Developed Steam Achievements for persistence, game achievements and tracking user statistics
- Implemented Steam Cloud to provide a continuous and seamless gaming experience across different systems
- Provide support for keyboard using Win32 and removed the touch support
- Provided controller support using Microsoft’s Direct Input and XInput protocol to have a better control over the game
- Tested the controller support over different controllers like Logitech F310r, Logitech F710r, Xbox 360 for Windows
- Implemented Steam Digital Rights Management (DRM) which wraps the game compiled executable and checks to make sure that it is running under an authenticated instance of Steam
- Provided support in multiple languages (including EFIGS, Russian and Brazilian Portuguese)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013
- Increased the target market to 75 million users due to introduction of Steam and controller support
- Improved the geographic market reach as the game could be played through seven different languages across the globe
- Ensured popularity of the game incorporating continuous feedback made available through immediate review mechanism