Table of content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Key Requirements
- Xoriant Solution
- Key Contributions
- High level Architecture Diagram
- Technology Stack
- Key Business Benefits
Our client is one of the fastest-growing technology businesses in North America, aiming at preventing/minimizing losses by providing security services through behavioral intelligence, predictive analysis, fraud detection, exception based reporting, video intelligence and data mining for various businesses in retail, gaming, hospitality and banking industries. Client’s Loss prevention, Game Protection and Footfall measuring product/solutions helps businesses by orchestrating day to day data from point-of-sale (POS), casino systems and other data sources with digital video surveillance, producing accurate business intelligence to help business operators cut down losses through frauds, etc.
Client has web products for serving customers in various areas like:
- Loss Prevention – Airports, Bars, Casinos, Hotels-Resorts, Bowling Centers and Theaters, Stadiums and Amusements etc.
- Game Protection as in gaming centers, etc.
- Analyzing footfalls at travel plazas, retail POS, ATMS, banking cage, credit TRM machines etc.
Our client has been an established player in providing video-driven analytics, behavioral intelligence and predictive analytics in areas of loss prevention, game protection and footfall measurement. Client continues to contribute in increased profitability of the customers across varied businesses through their state of the art technology with web based products including POS. Realizing the potential of mobile presence, and in order to serve their customers better our client aimed at expanding their offering by adding a mobile solution to the existing web POS solution. With an aim to reach maximum business value, client targeted developing the application for both iOS and Android platforms with devices of different resolutions.
With rapid development and release cycles, client was looking for a partner like Xoriant to successfully develop and deliver their applications within a stipulated timeframe.
Bringing in the desktop POS system features on mobile platforms (iOS and Android) was the key objective of the engagement as client’s customers were a varied user base across various mobile platforms.
Some of the key requirements were to:
- Develop a user friendly interface which provides seamless user experience over multiple device types
- Provide anywhere access to client’s cloud platform to access data/key information about user’s business
- Allow customization of dashboards to select from the available parameters with a drill down capability
- Develop a POS Module:
- Displaying different interactive graphs based on transaction data in order to display current trends in user’s business
- Including Graphs for trends, Journal data for live and playback, association of data to cameras
- Allowing to select graph items with detailed information on request
- Enabling streaming live video from surveillance cameras, displaying the associated transaction data and watch the associated RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) video.
- Allowing the users to track their incidents, open the incidents, add comments to the incidents
- Allowing the creation of new data related to any incident from the mobile device
- Develop a Case Manager for the users to be able to view the past created cases of any kind(video footage, fraud ,etc.), study/analyze , solve them and add comments to them
Xoriant mobility team, having an extensive experience in developing mobile applications across platforms for various domains, mutually decided with the client to develop the application using Xamarin platform. The team had hands on experience of developing cross platform applications using Xamarin in the past which aligned very well with client’s preference of development platform. Xoriant and client mutually decided upon the set of technologies where Xoriant team came up with a few design patterns to suit client’s requirement. Client and Xoriant then narrowed down on the most suitable pattern to start the application.
Xoriant being a Xamarin Authorized Consulting Partner enabled in strengthening our application development offering that was leveraged to create cross-platform application with shorter development cycle.
- Developed a responsive application (iOS and Android) on Xamarin using MVVM pattern where MVVMCross library helped in maximizing the code and components reusing between iOS and Android platforms.
- Accelerated the development and testing time with using this pattern, by clearly separating business logic and user interface layer. Business logic was put inside a portable shared library which was shared among iOS and Android platform.
- Integrated open source OxyPlot graph library for the POS module, and further modified to make the graphs interactive.
- Developed a customized video streaming solution(for camera module) using RTSP to display auto refreshing snapshots in video streaming which was not supported in-built on iOS platform.
- Developed a seamless navigation between different “Modules” and “Views” using hamburger menu of Xamarin Studio, which provided easy access to frequently visited views.
- Built “Views” based on type of data received from the server in order to dynamically fit the available screen size and utilize the valuable screen asset effectively to support different form factors, such as mobiles, phablets and tablets.
- Provided Data analysis and Alerts mechanism using the Xamarin push notifications.
HIGH-LEVEL ARCHITECTURE DIAGRAM
- Xamarin Studio
- Visual Studio 2013 with Xamarin Plug-in
- Android SDK
- iOS Xcode
- OxyPlot – an open source graph drawing library for iOS and Android
KEY BUSINESS BENEFITS
- Instant alerts on mobile helped save time and money on any critical situations
- Reduced efforts in loss prevention by around 20-30%
- Increased the bottom line profits by around 20% with rapid adoption of mobile app version of the product
- Decreased investigation and monitoring time by 20% which was one of the key pain points of client
- Seamlessly integrated with customer’s existing surveillance and POS systems without delays caused in real time
- Facilitated client to reach a wider user base with accelerated time to market