Table of content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Key Requirements
- Xoriant Solutions
- Xoriant's Key Contributions
- High level Architecture Diagram
- Tools & Technologies
- Engagement Results
Our client is one of the leading media businesses creating and delivering interactive entertainment, family-focused content and multi-platform video games across all digital media platforms globally. Products and content released by the client include social and console games, kid’s entertainment, several popular mobile and online virtual world games.
Our client wanted to develop an application for kids that would allow them to play, watch and interact with their favorite animated TV shows on-the-go. Along with the general tap, tilt, swipe and touch interactions while watching the video, our client wanted to incorporate voice detection and other fun-filled interactive activities. Our client wanted to develop the applications for most of the Android devices and publish it across Google Play store and Amazon app store.
- Development of application on Android platform with OS v4.0 and above and for Amazon Kindle devices
- Incorporating in-app user specific advertising, data analytics and reporting features Adhering to device and platform specific standards for aesthetics as UI is the key driver for games
- QA of application on devices with different resolution and screen sizes to provide a seamless experience across platforms and mobile phones and tablets alike
Xoriant mobile application development team engaged the client into an agile development process with Scrum methodology and 2 weeks sprint model to ensure continued collaboration and improved productivity. JIRA was used for meticulous tracking, task allocation and project planning.
Cocos2D-X an open source, game development toolkit with APIs on C++ was chosen over other game engines because of its flexibility and easy compatibility with all the platforms. The team leveraged Cocos2D-X APIs’ speed and optimized capability to run on all kinds of devices including low-end Android systems. In initial phases itself Xoriant team identified certain reusable components and developed a framework to expedite the development of game. Script-based project template and executables were developed to run on Google Play and Amazon devices facilitating faster delivery.
XORIANT'S KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Developed an app on Android and FireOS which involved interactive videos, voice detection, touch gestures, animations and accelerometer actions
- Created a track selection component to view all the activities in the form of thumbnails and allowing the user to jump to a particular activity / video
- Used third party library PocketSphinx for voice recognition feature
- Enhanced user experience by transitioning between videos and images using Cocos2D X
- Built a framework comprising of reusable components for animations, voice detection, track selection and external event handling
- Catered to all types of screen resolutions by adapting the content height-wise and maintaining the aspect ratio. Also, ensured that all user interactions and animations appear at the center of the screen thereby not compromising on the content that was offered to the end user
- Integrated seamlessly with libraries like MoPub for in-app full screen and banners advertising
- Used libraries like DMOAnalytics, Kochava, comScore for data analytics, reporting and HockeyApp for tracking application crashes
- Created and executed generic and module specific test cases for each module to ensure quality of the application
- Used web debugging tools like Charles to ensure successful library integration and monitor all network calls made within the application
HIGH-LEVEL ARCHITECTURE DIAGRAM
TOOLS & TECHNOLOGIES
- Gained first mover advantage by developing one of a kind interactive application for kids
- Android users contributed 20% of the total app downloads by due to an early release of the application for different Android devices
- Reduced time-to-market by 33% through reusable framework based development
- Delivered a flexible and easily customizable application which gave a scope to our clients for future deployments on multiple platforms like iOS, Windows Phone and Windows Desktop