Table of Content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Engagement Challenges
- Xoriant Contributions In The Engagement
- Tools and Technologies
- Engagement Results
Our client, a well known game development specialist in the market is known for some of the most innovative game applications. In addition to being a dominant player in the industry, the company has an extensive portfolio which includes games developed for various genres. These include sports and recreation, education, puzzles, logic, adventure and much more.
Our client identified an opportunity in the wake of the NBA season which attracts a huge fan base worldwide. Our client wanted to develop a game app inspired from the classic American sport of basketball with some added features of its own. The game was to be developed for the Nokia Asha platform, which was the platform of choice for the client.
Our client wanted to launch a game app based on the popular game of basketball. The platform selected was Nokia Asha as the current marketplace lacked innovative games on the platform. The game was to be developed in a 2d format conceptualized on the idea such that a user should shoot a certain number of shots in a limited time frame. Due focus was to be given on UI development, to bring in the right look and feel of the game. The combination of an intuitive UX coupled with an optimal mix of elements such as sound and animation was important to provide a gripping gaming experience for the user. In addition to this an intensive QA process was required for delivering a quality application. Some of the challenges in developing the gaming application were as follows:
- Developing different themes wherein each theme will have a unique setting featuring attributes such as the jungle theme having forest like elements.
- Requirement of the ball motion physics to be realistic.
- Coordination of the user’s swipe movement such that it would correspond with the trajectory of the ball.
- Required to perform all functional testing for critical aspects such as interruptions, sound effects and user interface elements.
- Incorporation of impactful sound effects and a realistic gameplay to provide a rich user experience.
- Ensure that the game would be compatible across different screen resolutions and form factors.
XORIANT CONTRIBUTIONS IN THE ENGAGEMENT
Xoriant has a significant amount of experience in mobile app development with a comprehensive portfolio covering different segments such as utility, lifestyle, business, reference and games across multiple platforms. This led Xoriant to be the right choice for the client for this engagement. Regular meetings were held between the Xoriant team and the client to obtain a comprehensive understanding about the project’s requirements. The Xoriant team consisted of a technical architect, a UI designer, a software developer and a QA engineer. Xoriant conducted a market analysis, with a focus group to identify the right target audience for the game app, eventually targeting users across age groups 4 to 50.
Xoriant built the app from start to finish with some of the key contributions are as follows:
- Creating an attractive UI development was one of the major requirements:
- Rough drafts of the visuals were made and multiple story board sessions were held to determine the final look and feel of the game.
- The team also went through extensive brain storming sessions to create unique elements for the respective themes.
- Game ball movement was implemented on the basis of physics concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force vector to achieve a realistic game play
- A record management system was incorporated to update a player’s top 5 scores automatically.
- Ad integration was done for revenue generation.
Some of the significant contributions in QA phase are as follows:
- Extensive testing was done to check coordination between the swiping gesture and ball movement, which also involved a demo amongst a focus group to obtain end user feedback.
- Interruptive testing was done to check for loop and basket shooting sound effects during gameplay.
TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGIES:
- Nokia Asha SDK 1.0, 1.1
- Nokia Emulator for Nokia S40 Platform
- Samsung WTK1.2
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Photoshop
- InnerActive Ad SDK
- Math library
- Successfully deployed the game for Nokia Ovi store and Samsung mobile apps store respectively in an aggressive time frame
- Appreciation from notable sports authorities and veterans for showing an affinity in conceptualizing an application based on a popular game.
- Led to further development of a series inspired from other variations of the basketball sport such as HORSE, one on one and 21.
- Earned a reward from Nokia Asha gaming boot camp as the best app based on a real time popular sport and its noted universal appeal across different age groups.