Table of Content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation & Challenges
- Xoriant's Contributions in the Engagement
- Tools & Technologies
- Engagement Results
- Client Testimonial
Our client Tailored Games was founded in July 2011 as an intuitive social gaming company. Tailored Games seeks to leverage user's social graph and online interactions to build customized and intelligent games across a variety of platforms. Tailored Games was incubated by Dogma Studios a leading entertainment digital media service provider in Los Angeles, CA.
Tailored Games has launched their first skill based Fantasy game called Fantasy Football Champions Challenge on Facebook and intends to continue developing additional fantasy sports and pop culture games tailored to the user's own social graph and online interactions. Furthermore, using this as a platform Tailored Games will publish other apps rapidly.
ENGAGEMENT SITUATION & CHALLENGES
Our client Tailored Games intended to launch the Fantasy Football game on Facebook very rapidly to take advantage of the 2011-2012 NFL (National Football League) season. They wanted an app tightly integrated into the Facebook platform with the following objectives:
- Rapid time to launch on Facebook platform
- Intuitive user interface design with rich graphics
- Tight integration with Facebook features such as wall postings, messaging, invites for viral growth
- Integration with payment systems such as Paypal
- Real-time analytics to test various marketing activities
Our client was looking for a partner who had thorough understanding of Facebook social media and social graph features, payment systems, user interfaces and graphics expertise, experience in mining various data for analytics as well as someone who could develop the infrastructure to build a scalable app used by thousands of users across various other platforms such as mobile and tablet. Furthermore the client was also looking for a vendor with resources to test the app on various browsers (Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome) in the short time the client had for launch.
XORIANT'S CONTRIBUTIONS IN THE ENGAGEMENT
Xoriant with its experienced team of technical architects and developers combined with their previous engagements on social media websites appeared to be an ideal partner for the client requirements. Xoriant initiated the engagement by holding client meetings with their core team to gain a complete understanding of the engagement objectives. A team comprising of a technical architect, a UI designer, a developer and a QA engineer was formed and project milestones were set to ensure meeting the aggressive release schedules of the client.
UI wireframes were developed, adhering to the Facebook guidelines and were shared across with the client. After due approvals the app development started with release cycles every week. Xoriant used their proprietary Social Media Framework -a scalable, robust framework comprising of reusable components that can be customized to develop social media applications. The following diagram depicts a high-level architecture of the entire application.
Some of the key challenges of the engagement were:
- Depicting the real time statistics of team and individual players after every NFL match
- Sending alerts/reminder emails indicating pending team selection to all users
- Developing a calculation algorithm to decide a winner in case of a tie situation
- Implementing the mechanism of challenging friends and inviting them for the game while also maintaining the record of friends challenged
- Reporting mechanism to generate payment and other customized reports
- Integrating with 3rd party payment services for performing financial payments, etc.
Significant contributions of Xoriant included:
- Design, development, and deployment of Fantasy Football Champions Challenge website and the application on the Facebook platform
- Design and development of the user interface and graphics
- Use of HTML5 Boilerplate for enabling cross-browser normalization across desktop and mobile
- Creating a cron script to implement the scoring system and deciding the winner by using the SportsData feed source obtained in real time
- Design and development of the backend server with APIs which can be used to develop apps on various platforms
- Data mining and presentation of analytics to allow the client to test various marketing activities
- Integrating with Google Analytics for tracking user activities, user geographies for the game and providing customized reports
- Tight integration of Facebook features to allow viral growth
- Integration with payment modules such as Paypal
- Creation of a test environment to test the Paypal transactions using IPN
- Testing on commonly used browsers such as Firefox, IE, Safari, and Chrome
TOOLS & TECHNOLOGIES
- The design, development and deployment of a high quality product was done in a record time of six weeks
- Xoriant's proprietary Social Media Framework pre-existing building blocks allowed the team to build and deploy the application rapidly
- User interface was implemented by using interface guidelines from Facebook. The user experience was well received after the launch
- Leveraging this experience, our client plans to position themselves in the social networking games domain with other applications
“Utilizing Xoriant in our development helped us to gain the resources of a full development team in short order. We consider Xoriant as part of our team rather than third party developers. This means of production helped cut development time by three months, and reduce our minimal viable product launch to a fraction of what our in-house team could provide.”
Air Foamposite One Glowing