Table of content
- Client Overview
- Engagement Situation
- Engagement Challenges
- Xoriant's Contribution
- High-Level Architecture Diagram
- Tools and Technology
- Results/Client Benefits
Our client is a leading engineering services company focused on network connectivity and wireless communication for embedded devices and systems. They enable multi-sensor, multi-protocol, low power wireless connectivity of the Internet of Things. Our clients provide these services to the OEMs serving industries like energy, healthcare, logistics and industrial automation that need embedded software, cloud systems and mobile applications with end-to-end system integration.
Our client wanted to leverage Internet of Things (IoT) and M2M Communication technologies to make the communicating devices and associated sensors useful for reading sensor values and enable over-the-air provisioning, configuration and firmware upgrade. For this they needed a cloud system which is scalable and easily customizable to be used from any mobile device or a PC. A cloud system that can connect through most of the communication technologies used by the embedded devices to relay the data, allows monitoring and control of the devices / sensors anytime, anywhere and from any mobile device.
Key requirements of the solution were to handle device profile management and device sensor configuration. In order to have a holistic view of their products, client wanted to have a customer specific floor plan uploaded in the system which could be further used as a custom Google Maps to locate the devices. This needed seamless integration of the physical devices with the system that could facilitate precise firmware management, intuitive maintenance console, device data charting with floor plan integration for plotting device locations.
Key Challenges for developing the application were:
- Developing a cloud framework that could interact with 1000s of connected devices regardless of the protocols being used by individual devices for communication. This in return would enable seamless M2M communication with the devices for easy retrieval of sensor values, device locations etc.
- Collating all the values from the devices like device location, temperature, light, humidity, battery strength and signal strength etc. and create a database for easy and quick retrieval
- Creating a customized ooffine Google Maps functionality for effortless tracking of sensor devices and capturing values from them
The client was looking for an agile innovative partner with strong product and technical background who had an experience in implementing IoT and M2M communication solutions. Along with seamless communication platform, the client needed a technology expert who can deliver a cloud based framework that facilitates easy monitoring of sensor values and device management. Considering Xoriant’s experience in designing, building, testing and integrating business critical solutions, client selected Xoriant team for developing their solution.
Xoriant created a team consisting of a product manager, system manager, developers and QAs that engaged the client in an Agile execution methodology with dynamic work allocation. Xoriant was involved in the end-to-end development of a cloud based device management system configurable for any type of devices, interface and sensors. Adoption of agile methodology ensured regular updates to the client allowing a quick and timely feedback for feature based deliveries.
Some of the key highlights for the product are as follows:
- Developed a sensor chart system using a third party chart software – High-charts, to facilitate complete visualization of the collected sensor data and draw actionable insights
- Configured device specific rules and settings, collated them and developed a functionality to automate the complete process of configuring and tuning the sensor devices without any human intervention and delays
- Developed an over-the-air (OTA) firmware upgrade system to help client reduce the time required for manually upgrading the devices. Also plan for MDM is on to push the upgrades remotely
- Created user profiles in line with the device/sensor profiles as per the client requirements for security and access control ensuring strict security adherence
Xoriant’s contribution towards client’s device and sensor management system right from product development, testing to deployment, ensured seamless integration with physical devices along with a user-friendly UI and database design. Xoriant QA experts contributed in extensive test coverage of various critical scenarios like integration of the physical device with the application, integration of the data packets sent by physical device and behavior of the data with the system and integration of DSG with physical devices.
HIGH-LEVEL ARCHITECTURE DIAGRAM
TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Browser(s): Safari, Chrome, Firefox, IE
- Integration & Source Control: SVN, Bugzilla
- OS (64 bit): CentOS
- The cloud based system is easily configurable for different types of devices, and sensors thus making the product generic, simple, scalable and highly customizable
- Apt location tracking of devices, monitoring values and usable under offine mode in a secured environment ensured effective monitoring and firmware management which in turn enabled our client to improve customer satisfaction by 35%
- Flexibility of the product enables client to explore new industries like transportation, healthcare etc. apart from embedded industry, resulting in significant increase of end customer base across verticals
- Ease of data aggregation enabled quick analytics which led to significant improvement in operational efficiency by about 30%
- Generated business reports and alerts in real time aiding decision making
- Quick delivery of product with rich set of features helped our client to gain first mover advantage over competition